About our cold pressed rapeseed oil.
Where is Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil grown?
Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil is grown on our family farm, Broglasco Farm, Limavady. N.Ireland.
Can you tell the variety of your rapeseed grown?
We will always know what the oil is in our bottles, as we grow one varierty and harvest only our own rapeseed for our own use! We are also delighted that our chefs have said that the flavour of our our is different compaired to other rapeseed oils that they have tried.
Is there anything added to the oil?
No. Our oil is cold pressed to extract only the natural goodness of rapeseed oil from each tiny little black seed. There is nothing added or subtracted – just cold pressed virgin rapeseed oil.
Is Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil GM Free?
Yes, our plant is GM Free.
Does it help weight loss?
Yes. As part of a calorie controlled diet, it will aid weight loss. But too much oil is not good for you, so dont over indulge in anything that isnt fat free!
What is the difference in Olive Oil or Rapeseed Oil?
• Olive oil has Omega 3 and 6. - Rapeseed oil has Omega 3,6, and 9 plus the added vitamin E.
• Olive oil smokes at 180 degrees, whereas, Rapeseed oil doesn’t smoke until 220 degrees, leaving the goodness of the oil in your cooking!
• Rapeseed oil has 10 times more Omega 3 than Olive oil.
Is it true that Rapeseed oil reduces cholesterol and heart disease?
• Yes. Studies have been undergoing now for some time now, and one of the studies was completed by The British Nutrition Foundation who looked at evidence from intervention studies specifically relating to rapeseed oil and reduced risk of coronary heart disease.
Can someone with Celiac or Gluten Free use Rapeseed oil?
• Its seems to be fine, as I have looked at different studies on Celiac and Gluten Free Website, and thankfully no one had any problems after using the oil. (This will always depend on every individuals own health)
Can you rub the oil on your skin?
• Yes, there is no reason why not. Rapeseed Oil also contains Vitamin D & E which have antioxidants which contribute to help the anti-ageing process!!!
Can you drink Rapeseed oil i.e. 5 ml per day?
• Again, there is nothing stopping you drinking the oil, it will not harm your health, and no research so far has shown any side affects. Like everything a little bit of everything in moderation!
What is rapeseed oil and what is it made from?
• Rapeseed oil is produced from the oilseed rape plant and come from the same Brassica family as broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower.
• Rapeseed oil is an ideal culinary oil as it can be used in a variety of ways including frying, baking, roasting and also in salads.
• Rapeseed oil has a mild flavour and is therefore ideal for delicate flavoured dishes.
Is rapeseed oil really as healthy as they say?
• Rapeseed oil is one of the healthiest oils you can buy due to its balance of fatty acids.
• Rapeseed oil is high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats like Omega 3 and 6, that can help to lower cholesterol and contains a lower level of saturated fatty acids compared to other vegetable oils.
• Cold pressed rapeseed oil is often made from oilseed rape sourced from farms across the UK. Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil is made from our own rapeseed, grown and harvested on our farm.
But I’ve heard that it contains compounds like erucic acid which might be harmful!
• In the past, the consumption of rapeseed oil was discouraged because it contained high levels of a particular fatty acid called erucic acid. Erucic acid is naturally found in some oils. There have been no confirmed reports of erucic acid causing health problems in humans. However, findings in animal and laboratory studies suggest that regular consumption of high levels of erucic acid may add to the risk of developing heart disease. Today, levels of erucic acid in foods are strictly controlled and all rapeseed oil in the market contains extremely low levels of this fatty acid so there is NO risk of any harm to health. Rapeseed oil is included in the Food Standards Agencies Guidance for healthy catering and its versatility recognised by chefs, who value its taste and cooking performance. Many caterers and manufacturers are now using rapeseed oil in cooking and products developed, which will have a positive influence in improving the overall fatty acid profile of the UK diet.
Can the oilseed plant damage my health?
• There is no clear evidence that oilseed rape pollen has an adverse effect on our health.
• Oilseed rape has been cultivated without any problems for centuries.
• Several studies have shown that pollen from oilseed rape is an allergenic, but data on the incidence of sensitisation is highly conflicting.
• There is little evidence that oilseed rape pollen itself actively triggers hay fever systems, unlike grass and birch, which are the top two pollens that provoke hay fever.
• Studies on the dispersal of oilseed rape pollen generally conclude that very little airbourne pollen is transported over long distances.
How much oilseed rape is grown in the UK?
• In 2009, 581000 hectares of oilseed rape was grown in the UK. This is a decrease of 3% from 2008. The trend on yields has been quite flat for the past five years.
• Of this, 503,000 hectares was winter sown oilseed rape of which was grown in England and the remaining amount was either grown in Scotland (29,000 hectares), Wales and Northern Ireland (5000 hectares) or was spring sown in England (44,000).
Where can I purchase Broighter Gold Rapeseed Oil?
• On this website, go to 'Buy Our Oil!
• Go to Stockist on our website for a list of shops stocking our oil. And also a list of the prestigious restaurants using ONLY our oil.
* MEMBER OF GOOD FOOD NI
• www.naturallynorthcoast.com – Buy online.
• Farmers Markets:- St Georges in Belfast and Causeway Speciality Market in Coleraine.
*Information taken from HGCA website with permission. ** Statistics taken from “Cereals and Oilseed Rape production estimates:2009 Harvest UK – Final Results Defra.